SARDA is looking for enthusiastic, motivated people to join their research team this summer. This employment opportunity will commence May 4 or possibly sooner until the end of August and will remain open until suitable candidates are found.
SARDA (Smoky Applied Research & Demonstration Association) is an applied research association located in Falher, covering the south Peace Region of Alberta. The MD of Smoky River and Northern Sunrise County are mainly crop producing areas including cereal and oilseeds production, pulses, flax, forage seed crops & other crops, while the MD of Big Lakes and MD of Greenview have more cattle operations.
1. Strong work ethic and the ability to show up on time and work well with others on a team are required.
2. Returning to Post secondary education may be required.
3. Basic math skills needed.
The following skills would be an asset, though are not essential.
1. Ability to operate various farm related equipment including tractors, seed drills, combines and sprayers.
2. An interest in agriculture. We hire people with various educational interests.
3. Ability to work in MS Excel.
4. Excellent inter-personal skills, able to work in group & one-on-one settings with other staff.
5. Ability to work long hours outside during spring season (200 + hours during month of May).
6. Having severe allergies to dust or pollens or having asthma, may severely limit your ability to work effectively in this position.
To assist SARDA staff in conducting applied research & extension activities, collecting data and maintaining plots.
Duties may include:
- establish, manage & collect data from research plots
- operation of equipment
- enter and review data
- maintain plots,
- Maintain data integrity throughout season
Areas of focus may include, but are not limited to:
- crop production
- pest monitoring
- forage seed & fibre production
- special crops
Salary Range is $15 – $20/hr depending on education and experience levels.
Please submit a resume and cover letter along with three references to:
Vance Yaremko, Manager
Smoky Applied Research & Demonstration Association
Box 90 Falher, AB T0H 1M0
Phone: (780) 837-6271 Fax: (780) 837-8223
The job posting will remain until suitable candidates are selected.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.